27-31 May 2004


Debra and I headed up to Torridon on the Wednesday to meet up with Simon and Carmen (who went for the whole week). They'd taken up residence in the Cottage the previous evening due to the clouds of midges. Driving into Torridon around 10pm we gave them a quick ring on the mobile to get an answer from Simon saying they'd just got to the top of the Triple Buttress on Beinn Eighe and that they'd see us at the hut! (Old habits die hard.....)

The Thursday dawned warm and bright so Debra and I drove up the glen and dumped the car and made the traverse of Beinn Eighe via Creag Dubh and Coire Mhic Fhearchair. In the meantime S+C went for an easy day on the Northern Pinnacles of Liathach.

Friday was not the best of weather so the four of us drove up the coast for some sight seeing and pub food (and drink......)

By the evening, more of the motley crew had started to arrive and the hut began to feel quite cosy (even if the toilet had to be flushed using a bucket......)

Saturday was again not the best in weather terms but a fair sized group (S+C, S+D, Paul, Jackie) headed off to bag Sgurr Ruadh and despite the incoming rain, Beinn Liath Mhor as well. (Some moaner was heard to say: “Well, I'm not coming back here so we might as well do the second one now”....wonder who that was!)

On the Sunday most of the group headed off to the traverse of Beinn Eighe while Simon and Debra headed off to the Northern Pinnacles on Liathach. Once we'd threaded our way past the thousands of frogs that were strewn all over the place, we headed up the northern flank of Liathach and (stupidly) made a beeline for the gully just south of Meall Dearg in order to gain the ridge. Big mistake. Chossy, loose and hideous are the words that spring to mind. Once on the ridge the scrambling itself was quite good but I'm not sure it was good enough to justify the ascent of the gully! (Note to self: go up Meall Dearg next time....)

All in all, an absolutely superb trip with plenty of members making the effort to get there and the weather was somewhat better than last time YAC headed to Torridon!